This Palermo food tour features differents food stops where you can enjoy both typical street food and home-made preparations of Palermo, passed throughout generations. In this framework, our local Foodie, will share with you unknown stories and secrets of the city and its culinary tradition.
Here is a list of your possible tastings!
- Panino with panella and crocchè - this beating heart of Palermo’s street food is a sesame bread stuffed with mashed potatoes “balls” or with chickpeas omelette. This is absolutely a must try in order to have an overview of the rich and tasty Sicilian food culture.[readmore]
- Sfincione - it's made with a pizza-like dough covered with fresh tomato salsa, anchovies paste and onion. Sfincione is the super tasty idea of pizza from Palermo!
- Rice arancina - it's famous all around the world this rice ball filled with different ingredients (meat, smoked ham, spinach, mixed cheeses and so much more) and then deep fried according to centuries-long tradition.
- Pasta alla Norma - it's a traditionally shaped pasta (usually maccheroni), with fresh tomato salsa, fried aubergines, salty seasoned ricotta cheese and basil. The recipe was born in Catania but shortly after it became a symbol of Sicilian savoury food tradition.
- Anelletti al forno - it's a small sized pasta, shaped in the form of a ring (“anello”, in Italian), with meat and peas salsa. One cannot claim to have been in Palermo without having tried it.
- Traditional veggie preparations upon choice among which parmigiana di melanzane - famous Sicilian dish made with Fried aubergines, tomato salsa, parmesan and mozzarella cheese
- Sicilian cannoli - the waffle, traditionally shaped around a hot metallic bar, filled with a sweet and creamy paste made with ricotta cheese, candied fruit, crunchy pistachios or dark chocolate drops. A colourful and sweet explosion of taste!
- Sicilian cassata - it's a traditional Sicilian pie to be eaten chilled. It is made with fresh ricotta cheese, candied fruit, wheat paste and other ingredients according to a hundred years old recipe.
- Sicilian granita - perfect for chilling in a warm summer afternoon, the granita is served in a glass and it is meant for concluding in a great way a rich meal. Fresh fruit, sugar and ice are its simple ingredients but the taste is incredible by itself… Imagine it topped with coffee, chocolate or fruit!