Enjoying Palermo's Street Food is a unique experience of its kind because it allows you to dive into the local culture and the city's adventurous history.
The local preparations are generously offered by the marvelous sea and the rich lands warmed by the sun: this combination features Palermo food offer incredibly lively and unforgettable.[readmore] The tradition of selling take away food in Palermo comes from the melting pot of cultures who have lived throughout time in the city: Africans, Latina, Greeks, Spanish, Jewish and Arabs only to mention some. Each people introduced its food tradition and altogether gave rise to the spiced and crispy bites, often prepared in plain sight by the seasoned food experts of the city.
Within this food tour, you will taste the best of Sicilian Street Food, walking in the loud and colorful historical city center, escorted by our local foodies.
Here is a list of your possible tastings!
- Panino with panelle and crocchè - the beating heart of Palermo’s street food is a sesame bread stuffed with mashed potatoes “balls” or with chickpeas omelette.
- Sfincione - made with a pizza-like dough covered with fresh tomato salsa, anchovies paste, capers and onion. Sfincione is the super tasty idea of pizza from Palermo!
- Rice arancina - famous all around the world this rice ball is filled with different ingredients (meat, smoked ham, spinach, mixed cheeses and so much more) and then deep fried according to centuries-long tradition.
- Board with local cured meats and cheeses - according to Sicilian long-standing tradition, directly from the farms surrounding the city of Palermo.
- Sicilian cannoli - the waffle, traditionally shaped around a hot metallic bar, filled with a sweet and creamy paste made with ricotta cheese, candied fruit, crunchy pistachios from the country surrounding the city or dark chocolate drops. A colourful as well as a sweet explosion of taste!
- Sicilian cassata - traditional Sicilian pie to be eaten chilled. It is made with fresh ricotta cheese, dried fruit, wheat paste and other ingredients according to a hundred years old recipe.
- Sicilian granita - it's perfect for chilling in a warm summer afternoon. It is served in a glass and it is meant for concluding in a great way a rich meal. Fresh fruit, sugar and ice are its simple ingredients but the taste is incredible by itself… Imagine it topped with coffee, chocolate or fruit!